Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Getting over the 80s

Well here I am again. Finally. And with a subject I'm truly torn on. Last time, a month and a half ago, I talked about a revived franchise changeing certen aspects for whatever reason. But my problim was not nessarily about change, but about wasted opertunity. But now I want to talk about some other revived shows.

This year and last we have seen the premires of G.I. Joe: Renegades, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, Transformers Prime, Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated, Strawberry Shortcake's Berry Bitty Adventures, ThunderCats, The Looney Tunes Show and Voltron Force. And next year is a new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
On the one hand, some of these are good shows. And I always thought that shows like Voltron and ThunderCats would be great with today's animation and story telling techniques. But where are the original ideas? The new franchisees? The new characters? The shows today's kids will grow up loving as there own?
Let's look at Transformers for a bit. I never watched Gen 1. I maybe saw 2 episodes and barely remember even that. I have no connection to Bumblebee, Ratchet, Jazz, SoundWave, Arcee Etc, Etc. I grew up on Beast Wars. With Dinobot, Rattrap, Waspinator and Rhinox.  I could not care less for Gen 1. So Prime comes out and who's in the cast? Bumblebee, Ratchet, Jazz, Soundwave and Arcee. Characters kids have no knowledge of and are only there to appease older fans that can't let there childhood go.
There were a lot of good shows in the past, but the past is done. Let's stop forcing kids to relive our childhoods over and over again and start working on something new.
Well, that's my two cents at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment